The purpose of CPD is to enhance professional skill and competence of the pharmacist for safe and efficient practice.
Below are some important points extracted from the policy. Read the full document here
CPD Committee Members
- The Chief Examiner (GPPQE) who shall serve as chair
- The Registrar of the Pharmacy Council.
- A member each selected from the main areas of pharmacy practice namely Hospital, Community, Industrial practice, academia & research, policy &administration …
CPD Committee Responsibilities
- Review & recommend standards for CPD of pharmacists and other pharmaceutical support staff
- Accredit relevant institutions, agencies and firms
- Approve CPD programmes and to
- Award of CPD credits to programmes as part of setting standards for CPD.
Activities that may be awarded CPD credit
- Clinical meetings.
- Scientific conferences and workshops e.g. FIP, CPA, WHO
- Publication in peer-review journals.
- Review of journal.
- Facilitators at approved CPD events
- Attendance and participation in Pharmaceutical Society of Ghana (PSGH) conferences and scientific programmes….
- Law, Ethics & Practice Standards
- Law and Regulation
- Standards of Pharmaceutical care.
- International convention/ best practices related to pharmacy
- Health promotion and disease prevention.
- Practice Research and publication
- Pharmacy Administration
- Pharmacy Information Management
- Health Service Management
CPD Credit Award Guide
CPD (Category 1 – Compulsory)
Laws, Ethics and Regulations – up to 3 credits/ event
CPD (Category 2)
Subject based events with hands–on learning – up to 5 credits/event
Subject based events (oral only) – up to 3 credits/ event
CPD credit requirements
- Minimum of 7 Credits from CPD Categories 1 & 2 (Related to core functions)
- Minimum of 3 Credits from CPD Category 3 (Areas outside of core functions)
Practitioners will be cautioned in writing if they fail to meet the minimum requirement in the year. A practitioner’s license may not be renewed if he/she fails to meet the minimum 10 credits at the end of the year.